Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: salvaging 808-8A driver

  1. #1
    Inactive Member penguin9's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 12th, 2005
    Posts
    2
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Question

    I inherited a pair of (511?) horns with 808-8A drivers several years ago from an old band mate. One had apparently been stored with the bell of the horn up for some period of time. The throat of the driver was full of leaves, dust, a stick . . . .. Some of the finer debris had filtered through the slotted cap at the back of the throat and gotten on the diaphragm. The back surface of the driver, where the diaphragm seats, was somewhat rusty. Anyway, the problem/questions are: Can the slotted cap be removed from the back of the driver? How can you clean out the slot where the voice coil goes? Can you use steel wool on the back surface of the driver (I did and that is part of the motive for the last problem). Can this driver be rehabilitated? If it can, when I replace the diaphragm should I replace the one in the working driver as well so that they match?

  2. #2
    Inactive Member scott fitlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 29th, 2003
    Posts
    495
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    They can be saved! What i would do is send them to Bill at GPA, for service, cleaning and regauassing!

    Prices are good, workmanship is great, and youll have your drivers in top condition!

  3. #3
    Inactive Member WV's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 10th, 2002
    Posts
    39
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hello scotty,
    so will i do, but i mailed Todd and Bill and didn't receive any answer.
    I live in germany and it will not be cheap so i would like to know the costs before i ship them.
    What can i do?
    Thank you
    Wolf

  4. #4
    Inactive Member penguin9's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 12th, 2005
    Posts
    2
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Great to know that they are salvagable. I am planning to pair them with a pair of 416-8Bs. I have N801-8A crossovers that seem to work ok but the terminal posts are shot. I will be posting lots of questions as the project goes along I'm sure.
    Thanks

  5. #5
    Inactive Member Steve Burger's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 14th, 2002
    Posts
    269
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Bill rarely answers emails. You pretty much have to call him. It is pretty reasonable. The choice you have to make is between aluminum (902) and pascalite (909). the last 2 pairs I did I had Bill put Pascalite in so they will handle more power. I really liked the sound and to tell you the truth could not distinguish between them and the aluminum.

  6. #6
    Inactive Member gearjammer's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 8th, 2002
    Posts
    96
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Do not send them till you talk to him as who knows they could be past the point of no return.
    Or just not worth the cost and time.And bill has got some drivers sent to him that were so bad they were useless and not fixable. He showed me a few pairs.

  7. #7
    Inactive Member Steve Burger's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 14th, 2002
    Posts
    269
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    From South Dakota at least the cost of shipping would not be much and he would probably have to inspect them physically himself to determine whether they are fixable. From Germany, that may be a different story perhaps email him some close-up pics and then call him to have him look at the emails. When I said he rarely responds to emails I actually meant that it can take him a little while to get back to you.

  8. #8
    Inactive Member cclark65's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 17th, 2003
    Posts
    339
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hey Pengiun9, where abouts in SD do you live? I live about an hour south of Sioux Falls, and if you are close by, I would be willing to go over them with you and provide a diaphragm for testing it out.(but you can't keep it!)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.